Thread: Update
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
weenan

Update

Today we had a meeting with all of Mum's doctors. It wasn't a good meeting. I don't even know where to start. So I am just go write it all down, if it doesn't make sense I am sorry.

The critical care Dr. gave Mum a ZERO chance of ever coming off the vent/trach. He does not think Mum will live more than a few days-to a few weeks.

The oncologist cannot treat Mum in her current state :low platelets, infection, heart racing etc. She will no longer get herceptin, because they think that is what is causing the high heart rate and has caused her heart to weaken.

He said that with any chemo combo the success rate is less than 1%.

They advised us not to go ahead with the trach/peg tube surgery, they said it will only prolong the inevitable.

We have decided that we have not given our Mum a long enough chance, she was doing so well a few days ago, before she got this nasty infection.

The Dr's will honor of whishes, so Mum will get the trach/peg tube, and once she is stable (about 10 days), we still start a new chemo combo.
He stated that he will use Tykerb along with others but not sure what the others will be yet. No one seems to think that she will recover. It has all just happened so fast, she went down hill with in 2 weeks from breathing, to needing oxygen to now being ventilated.
Is there anyone that has been this sick and has pulled through?? Does anyone know of any combos that can help???

Her Chemo Dr said that she is to weak for any clinical trials and that most Onclogists wouldnt even have treated her at all.

Please pray, and keep the hope, We need and so badly want a miracle.

Thanks
Nicola
weenan is offline   Reply With Quote