View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
Joannie

Toenail still not healing

Well, after taking antibiotics off and on since the end of August, the skin around my toenail is really not healing. It still remains very sore and red. I went in for my 3 months check-in with the TEACH Trial onc. last week and mentioned this to him, wondering if it could be Tykerb causing the problem. After much discussion, and hearing about how he had an ingrown toenail in college, he said it was a very low chance it was coming from the drug. He thought if it was caused by Tykerb that it would be on both toes, or at least more than one toe. At any rate, I asked him about using B6. He said it was OK, but he didn't think it would help. I have been on B6 for over a week and have had no improvement. I have soaked in hot water and tried to massage toe skin away from the toe....no improvement. The onc. suggested I probably go ahead and have part of the nail removed. I have an appt. next Monday to have that done, reluctantly! Since I've been on antibiotics for so long, I'm now experiencing yeast infection!
So for you ladies who have had the nail partially removed, how painful is it? I really don't want to do this but it just doesn't seem to be getting any better. He also suggested that I have the nail fixed in a way that it doesn't grow back into the skin. Somehow they can deaden the nail bed.
Thanks for all of your information.
Joannie

Diagnosed April 2003
3.3 cm tumor left breast
HER2 positive 3++
ER/PR negative
Masectomy April 2003
4 Rounds of AC - dose dense
4 Rounds of Taxol - dose dense
Removed right breast prophalactically
Full reconstruction with implants/nipples
No Late Herceptin Received