View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
mke

You got some good answers. Pay particular note that health care is provincially administered. It really is a hard choice you're facing. I had all my cancer care in Toronto and I was satisfied with my care. I don't think I ever had an MRI or a CT. I had my care at Princess Margaret. I think that if you have very good insurance in the US you probably get faster care and you get more tests and scans and stuff than you would in Ontario. But we just go and get on with it and don't have to consult insurance companies about anything and there are no co-pays or forms.

It seems a long time since your permanent resident approval, are you sure that your medical exam is still valid. I ask because there was some question about acceptance of 1 year old x-rays when I came to Canada (but that was long ago).

I think life in Canada is pretty good. I live downtown in a comfortable area, fairly close to an area called "Little India". Crime rate is low by North Am standards, the city has a good symphony, new opera house, active theater, many art galleries. Library system is great, parks are pretty good, transportation system is good in downtown area - not so good in the suburbs.

On the down side, it's cold here, but not hideously - about like New York City. It is not an inexpensive place to live. Taxes are fairly high by US standards, we have a sales tax of about 13%, houses in my neighborhood run 500,000 and up and at present the Canadian dollar is at something like 1.06 US.

I can't answer your question about drugs, but I could probably find out if it is a decision point.
mke is offline   Reply With Quote