View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Boy Could I Relate To The Old Original Post Just Found!!!

I was on Taxotere '98-''99. Had every horrid side effect possible. Among the most annoying were the constant tearing and the runny nose. My hand was permanently clutched around a tissue. I dabbed all day long. People thought I was crying, and strangers sought to comfort me! I kept a ziploc in my pocketbook to gather all the soaking wet tissues from tears to eventually make it to the garbage.

I went to 5 opthalmologists. I had plugs put in by one. Good for 4 days. Careful when washing my face, never rubbing eyes. Fell out. Replugged. Same deal. And expensive. Annoying.

Another said use these eyedrops. Another said use those. Another said dry eye syndrome (as all concurred) -- could do roto routering the ducts but major surgery you do only as a last resort. Friends of friends consulted and couldn't figure it out.

FINALLY, last opthal doc said use REFRESH + (only saline, NO PRESERVATIVES). I was using something I explained. How often, he asked? 4 X a day! NOT ENOUGH. YOU HAVE *SEVERELY* DRY EYE!!!!! YOU NEED TO USE ONE VIAL AN HOUR -- ALL DAY LONG! I did this. I kept them in my bag, by the toilet, by my bed, by my computer. I watched the clock, made note and followed orders. Within 2 wks I was down to 2 X a day + middle of the night runs to the bathroom. Long periods of closed eyes recreates dry eye pain. Been doing this since '98. Must continue this apparently.

BTW, I could spot those on Taxotere in the chemo room. The ones dabbing their eyes. One nurse told me a newbie at the far end of the room asked if I was all right. Concerned I was crying. Nurse explained to her, She's not crying... Blah, blah.

Runny nose improved w/eye control. Just have to dab from time to time. Keep lots of tissues w/me. Happens when I eat! Annoying. I use vaseline in nostrils at night and don't have *crusties* or terribly runny nose any more.

Eating while dabbing at eyes ev 10 seconds and nose ev 30 seconds is nearly impossible -- w/fork/knife/tissue. My kids were mortified that I kept a tissue tucked in my bra to be handy at all times. I didn't care. Some friends asked if it could be psychological. My husband Paul explained that Andi has an absolutely great attitude. It's severe dry eye syndrome! I really quite happy in fact!!
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote