View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #19
AlaskaAngel

Thanks, Hopeful. The health food store is tiny here and doesn't carry any liquor, but we have more than one liquor store and I'm going to survey them and see what they have to offer. (At one point we had 30 churches and 31 bars/liquor stores here... so the battle for the soul is sort of interesting....)

MJO, if there is a higher risk for bc with alcohol, again, I think it may tie in with whether or not one maintains in the low or mid-range Body Mass Index for height. Alcohol and sugar both are sources of energy, and except for the possible benefits of maybe resveratrol (as well as maybe mellowing out with alcohol) both provide empty calories. The more fat one has, the more aromatase that one would have.

My metabolism has slowed to a crawl, so it is hard to substitute any empty calories in place of any of the other food I eat. But I do think that as long as you stay in the middle or lower end of your recommended BMI, it may not be the alcohol per se that increases the risk.

They probably will never do a study limited to just those who have had bc, are eating and drinking organic, are maintaining the proper BMI, and drink alcohol -- but I wish they would...

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote