View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Sandy in Silicon Valley

only two reasons to stop Herceptin during Stage IV

Hi, Sherry -

I can't imagine what your onc is thinking, in stopping you after 2 years... was your metastasis very limited to begin with?

Here are the only 2 reasons I've heard of, for stopping Herceptin during tx for bcmets: 1) the metastasized bc has become Herceptin-resistant, and is progressing despite the patient being on Herceptin; 2) LVEF is dipping, and patient is at risk for congestive heart failure.

I've been on Herceptin for the 4.5 years since my mets dx. Even though I've had very indolent progression from the neck down (one still-small lung met, no symptoms), I have had 3 brain mets - possibly a fourth, which we're following to see if it's actually radiation injury or mets - and if Tykerb I started in July will have any effect if it's the latter. Still, since Herceptin has been working so splendidly for me neck-down, I didn't want to stop taking it, when I started Herceptin, and my onc was able to argue the "medical necessity" of both as my current tx (no chemo since July 2006!).

I don't think it's reasonable, given your current status, to discontinue Herceptin - now or ever, if it keeps your mets NED or stable, and if it works in combo with chemo, if you should have a progression in the future.

Maybe your onc is thinking of putting you on Tykerb instead? Or Sutent (a pan-kinase inhibitor predicted to be FDA approved for advanced bc in 1st Qtr 2008)? If it were me, I wouldn't mess with a good thing, to try something new, that doesn't work for everyone!

Wishing you success convincing your onc, or getting a second opinion to back you up, or if all else fails, finding a new onc!

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley
1999 - off Tamoxifen, on Arimidex
2003 - dx'd Stage IV - lymph nodes & lungs. ER-/PR-/HER2neu+++.
Tx: Herceptin & Taxotere (6 cycles).
2005 - 2.9cm x 3.6cm brain tumor. Craniotomy, CyberKnife. 9 mo. staph aureus infection at incision site - 2nd craniotomy. Two small brain mets CyberKnife'd.
2006 - revisit Xeloda - dosage lowered to 2500mg/day, 5 cycles.
2007 - "spot" dx'd on qtrly brain MRI - same location as CyberKnife 7/05. > by 2-4mm per quarter - - radiation injury or re-growing cancer? Tykerb added to Herceptin - July, still "watching & waiting". Otherwise, fully functional...

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote