View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
Debra

Marsha -

I was 40 at diagnosis. I had my ovaries removed when I was 41. I was only 19% + for estrogen and about 17+ for prog.

I decided to have my ovaries removed because #1, I knew I was going to be on tamoxifen----therefore, that was going to shut down any estrogen from the ovaries anyways. I never did get my period back after chemo at age 40. So I figured, my ovaries were already in menopause anyways so why not just have them out. Plus, I was then able to go on an AI which has shown to be more beneficial anyway for us HER2.
However, at your age, you may not be knocked into menopause due to chemo. At least you didn't indicate that anyways. If that is the case, I maybe would have put more thought into it. But if are ovaries are going to be chemically shut down anyways and not produce the estrogen, why keep them.
The meds are to reduce the estrogen secreted from the adrenal glands which still secrete even with the hysterectomy.

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote