View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 03:28 AM   #57
madubois63

Dina - Walking is a great way to excercise. If the weather is not good, I go to a mall. If the weather is good, a beach is my first choice. It doesn't matter where, how fast or how long your walks are. Moving is the best thing. If one day you can't, then don't. The next day you may feel like walking twice as much. Listen to your body, and don't over due it. I believe the treatments are the thing causing the lack of energy more than the illness (of course, that depends on where the illness is). During my first fight with bc, I was not sick at all until they started the treatments. But, during the second fight, the mets were on my lungs making it hard to breath and move - slowing me down. During my fight with leukemia and graft verses host disease, many of the drugs I was/am taking literally atrophied my muscles. I could not lift my legs to go up a step at one point. As we decrease the medications, my muscles responded, and I am able to handle more and more steps up (I can walk for miles though, just not up - figure that out??) You will regain your energy, but it may take some time. The problem is that you will look so good, and everyone will expect you to feel that way...leaving you in the dust. Don't be afraid to tell them to slow down!
Love,Maryann
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote