View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 06:00 AM   #22
CLTann

That is an excellent question, on why I opted for mastectomy since the lesion is only 1 cm. My view was that there are millions cancer cells in the area, trying their best to grow. By cutting out a main target area, there got to be stray cells left. In 12 to 18 months, one stray cell can geometrically multiplied into another palpable or detectable cancer tumor. Of course, radiation would have to be added after lumpectomy for preventing the above from occurring. Since I am so much exposed to the medical environment, I try my best to avoid chemo and radiation, the latter is a cumulative dose restrictive, cancer causing tool in itself. All, including my gut feeling and personal preference, led me to my educated conclusion. I must also add that at the time of my decision making, my good friend, a wife of a medical doctor, both are certainly very knowledgeable in oncology, chose the mastectomy without chemo and without radiation also with her diagosis almost identical to mine. Furthermore, in my trained routine at hospital, we are so cautious in handling chemo agents as well as to guard against accidental exposure to radiation that could have swayed my conclusion.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote