View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
Mary Jo

Question about ovaries?

Hello everyone,

I've been fretting lately about having my ovaries intact. I wish I wasn't but I am. I was er/pr negative by the way and have already had my uterus and cervix removed almost 10 years ago because of fibroids in my uterus.

I have not been tested for the brca 1 or 2 gene so have no idea if that would be a risk factor to me. I know we can't remove every organ in our body to try to eliminate the risk of cancer but always worry I am going to get ovarian cancer ( a long with worrying about getting other cancers).

My question to you all is this: Are my fears justified or are my risk factors for ovarian cancer the same as cancer appearing anywhere else in my body? I'd love to know what those of you who have had this done think and who of you have had this done that were er/pr negative like me?

I spoke only briefly of my concerns about ovarian cancer at my last ob/gyn appointment and my gyn. didn't seem to think it was something I should have done ALTHOUGH I never really addressed the issue as a question but more as a conern I had.

Thanks in advance for your advice and factual information.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED