View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Alice

At first I wanted to have bilateral mastectomies but the surgeon felt this was doing unnecessary surgery. His opinion was that I had a much greater chance of a recurrance of the original cancer than having a second primary in the other breast. I also was unsure about reconstruction at the time of surgery and It was a high probability that I would have radiation. I just saw him for a 18 month follow up. This is the first time he asked me if I was considering reconstruction. His opinion now is that I have been cancer free for long enough that if I want to do reconstruction that there is no reason not to at this point.I guess what I am trying to get at is he gave me time to heal both physically and emotionally so that I could make a less emotional and reactionary decission. I think this is the way it should be. I have decided to do a tram flap and simple mast on the other side, although the thought of more surgery is oppressive. The thing I miss most about my apearance is just being equal.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote