View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
fauxgypsy

I want to thank everyone for theirr honest heartfelt replies. I have already decided against the surgery but I also know that I might feel differently about it after the surgery. More than anything I wanted to open up a discussion about it. There is so much emphasis in our culture on the exterior and on being perfect. Women with wonderful bodies go through surgery to get the shape of boob that the media deems perfect this season. This is not a new phenomenon. My aunt told me how they bound their breasts to get that flat chested look that was so popular in the 1920's. And as we get older there is that same push to try to look younger. I can't remember the quote about not trying to get out of life perfect and untouched. I think someone may have quoted it in the forum somewhere. I just want to live as well as I can, as long as I am me. This body is a temporary vessel, a machine in a sense, to get me there. I'll take good care of it, but it is not me. I'm sure I'll get more dents and my paint job will fade, but as long as it runs, that's what is important. To try to keep it unblemished and in mint condition would be like buying an off road vehicle, putting in it the garage, working hard to make payments on it, spending your free time waxing it, oiling it, showing everyone your beautiful spotless mudtruck and never using it. Remember when you were a child, scars meant something. "Look what happened when I learned to ride my bicycle" or " see, this is where I broke my arm, falling out of the apple tree" back before we started seeing this body as something to dress up and show off. I want to be able to say, "see this scar, it saved my life." Well, enough of my soapbox.

Leslie
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote