View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Audrey

I had a mastectomy in 2001 with a small saline implant (with expander) put in at the time of the surgery, plus a breast reduction on the other breast to match--It was great going from a D cup to a small B, so much more comfortable. After the plastic surgeon puts the implant in, you have to keep going back for him to inject saline into the impant to fill it up. Then you have what they call "exchange" surgery where they remove the temporary implant and expander and exchange it with a more permanent version. In 2005, I decided to have a prophylactic mastectomy on the remaining breast, following a diagnosis of lobular carcinoma in situ. After that surgery, I had a saline implant again, but was soooo sick of surgery I never did go back and have the exchange part completed. I'm still considering having nipple construction because although the reconstruction looks good enough with clothes on, it's so weird not having any nipples! But after I talked to a good friend of mine who had nipple reconstruction, she HATES it since her fake nipples are always protuding and she can never go without a bra, plus she wasn't happy with the results. It's a difficult decision, isn't it? Some people fly through surgery and all these difference procedures, but I couldn't stand the thought of having to deal with drains again, etc., so I delayed completing my reconstruction. Hope this long saga is somewhat informative for you as you make your decision!

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote