View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #10
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Sherry!
I had shingles in March and still have pain also. I do go several days at a time and do ok, but not for long. Same places, same pain in the neck to deal with. I have what seems to be the original pain coming back the last couple of days, so am really watching it.
Sherry, my rad onc told me that the pain meds won't be as effective unless we keep them in our system. If we wait til it's really bad, then our system has to build up again to combat the pain and the medication isn't as effective. She encouraged me to take them like prescribed (what a concept) to get the full benefit. So when I need them, I take them every 4 hours (vicadin) to get real relief.
I get this constant pain across the lower back of my head (maybe neck) that seems to never go away. And the place across the top of my right shoulder (lots of radiation exited there) is constant too. I've been taking more in the last week than I had to for a couple of weeks.
It's awful! It makes me grouchy and a pain to be with. So I take the meds. I figure that if I get hooked on the pain med. I can battle that just like all the other stuff we battle. I'm going to be happy to be around and have some fun! I've got a granddaughter to raise and just can't do it without taking good care of me.
Why not call your doc. and see what they say! Rather than fight the pain, "rule over it, girl"!!!!
I'll sure be thinking about you!
Luv,
Mary Anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote