View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Lani

Theresa you don't say where you are located

Unfortunately I have NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH CHEMO so I can only inform you of what I have read--

First of all regarding the combo they have suggested: exemestane is a steroidal antiaromatase(prevents extrogen from being made in a postmenopausal or post oophorectomy patient like you) and faslodex is an antihormonal that works by making the estrogen receptors fall off (degrade) from every cell in your body that it can get to, and permanently. For a tumor which is ER- this is a strange combination they are recommending.

Since you are so badly off, perhaps you would be a candidate for a trial of avastin + herceptin(which is running and was under the direction of Dr. Mark Pegram, formerly of UCLA soon to be (or presently working out of?) the Cancer Center at the University of Miami or pertuzumab (would be great if the trial giving pertuzumab, herceptin, plus Iressa which cured breast cancer in mice was up and running) The people who have suggested it and done the preclinical research are at Baylor, but I don't know if the paperwork has been completed or approved.

I have heard Dr. Judah Folkman talk about doxycycline as an antiangiogenesis treatment and you could also ask about metronomic (very very low doses of chemotherapy given daily which has antiangiogenic effects)

As I said these are just theoretical ideas, as I am just well-read but not qualified to comment in any other way.

Hope some of these ideas give you something to discuss with your oncologist. If you tell us where you are located, maybe we can suggest an oncologist for a second opinion. Hopw some of this helped!!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote