View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #14
Ginagce

Bugs in Borneo

a few years ago I was planning a trip to Borneo. My main concern was mosquitos as in that area of the world they carry dengue fever as well as malaria.

I went to an outfitter and bought a product called bug juice which it turned out was nearly 100% DEET.

I also purchased several of those little tubes that run on batteries and emit a frequency that is supposed to repel mosquitos. Everyone laughed at me. I hung one from my backpack which was always with me, one from my belt loop and kept one in my pocket.

During the 3 weeks I was there, in the jungle much of the time, I got a total of 1 mosquito bite and never, repeat never, used any of the sprays, creams etc. I brought with me. I also ignored the rules of wearing long sleeves and long pants tucked into your boots due to the excessive heat and the hot flashes I was having.

Call me crazy but I believe they work. I convinced my brother who was doing a rafting trip on the Colorado to take them and he said he had no problem with bites either.

I know this is a late posting but perhaps it will help others or on your next trip.

Ginagce
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote