Thread: Herceptin
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #17
Lani

Idi I found an article on breast cancer in liver transplantation patients

Rather than relying on those who post on boards--why not go to the source?

I would be happy to teach you how to look up all the medical literature found in the National Library of Congress. That empowers you. A little use of a medical dictionary online and you are reading the same papers as the doctors.

This one happens to be free so no subscription required.

: Liver Transpl. 2004 Jan;10(1):1-6. Links
De novo breast cancer in patients with liver transplantation: University of Pittsburgh's experience and review of the literature.

Oruc MT, Soran A, Jain AK, Wilson JW, Fung J.
Thomas Starzl Transplantation Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA.
De novo malignancies are one of the current problems in patients with organ transplantation. The incidence has been considered to be higher as a result of increases of oncogenic viruses in immunosuppressed organ recipients. Published reports have shown increased incidence of de novo tumors such as malignant lymphomas and cutaneous neoplasms but decreased incidence of breast cancer. A variety of factors affect de novo breast cancer development in organ recipients, including immunosuppression, viruses, and underlying disease. The aims of this review are to evaluate the incidence and management of patients with de novo breast cancer by giving the University of Pittsburgh's data, and to evaluate the incidence of de novo breast cancer in published reports in light of an age-adjusted rate. According to age-adjusted rates presented by the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results data, we found increased incidence rate of de novo breast cancer in the previously published series. The University of Pittsburgh's incidence rate of de novo breast cancer was determined in a fashion similar to that for the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results data. Eighty-three percent of all patients were diagnosed at early stages, and it appeared to take longer for de novo breast cancer to develop in patients treated with tacrolimus than in patients treated with cyclosporine. In conclusion, surgical treatment of breast cancer in liver recipients is the same as treatment of breast cancer in patients without transplantation. However, the effects of chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and/or tamoxifen remain unclear in transplanted patients and need to be evaluated in larger studies.
PMID: 14755771 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related Links
Comparative incidence of de novo nonlymphoid malignancies after liver transplantation under tacrolimus using surveillance epidemiologic end result data. [Transplantation. 1998]

Incidence of de-novo breast cancer in women chronically immunosuppressed after organ transplantation. [Lancet. 1995]
De novo malignancies after intestinal and multivisceral transplantation. [Transplantation. 2004]

See all Related Articles...

IDI, to find this:

Put "Entrez PubMed" into Google, put the PMID (pubmed ID #) ABOVE
14755771 INTO THE ADDRESS BOX AND THEN CLICK ON FREE ARTICLE.

to find this I just put "BREAST CANCER LIVER TRANSPLANTATION" INTO THE BOX

The above article was written in 2004, the same authors may have more info since. Articles usually give email addresses of authors. I would offer to email the author to ask more info, if you made such info available. Otherwise, try to write yourself. I am sure the author knows you are desperate for information. Otherwise, have your husband's oncologist email the author for info. He/she may not know about this article

GOOD LUCK!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote