View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink No Contrast Through Port

You'd think some one would have mentioned this before last wk in the chemo, from the nurse, not the doc. I asked another nurse (as I had an issue w/my port) and took the opportunity to ask for more input. Then they called the doc who checked the port and said must use peripheral Vit H. I was anxious to get through this chemo and get to visit my husband at the hospital, and Murphy's law kicked in. I was there for 3 hrs (vs 1 usually). Doc agreed re NO CONTRAST THROUGH PORT. Hello, been a patient in several offices (NY and Fla) on top ca centers and no one mentioned. Thanks, Steph for your experience. I will NOT ever do that again. Sorry about all your sticks (always with one arm tied behind our backs). Hope your situation resolves soon. For me, after 11 1/2 yrs I still get anxious pre scans, worrying they'll find something and then assuring myself that this is just another occasion for them to reinforce my STABLE/NED condition. Like I'm taking out a new contract on my life. Paul and I then go out and celebrate w/dinner and wine, relieved beyond words. I get same day reports, going in 1st appt. P is worse than me. I stay home, near the toilet, he keeps busy running errands and keeps calling -- Did they call yet? No... You will be the 1st one I call when they tell me that beautiful word -- STABLE! He knows this. But he's antsy. When I do tell him, on the phone, I can hear him crying tears of joy. It's pretty overwhelming. Was ev 8 wks, then ev 3 mnths, then I pleaded for 4 mnths. Pegram graduated me in Feb '06 to ev 6 mnths. So this Thurs is my day.

Kathy -- on Taxotere I had chest pains, right between my breasts when naturally panicked me, besides all else going on. I'd have to unhook my bra. Would feel some pain in my left arm, which scared me even more, but that arm is where they took 18 lymph nodes, severing muscle, tendons, nerves. It does hurt still (from '95) from time to time. I find a Flexerol, muscle relaxant helps that. Buy with the severe chest pain my cardiologist told me to take 2 Prilosec a day. But they say to only take 1. You need 2 a day. And in a short while I stopped having chest pains. I have high bld pressure and am on meds for that. I check w/my cardiologist regularly. I was getting ev 6 mnth ECHOs, now graduated to annually, as I have been on Herceptin since '98. The likelihood for having heart problems has decreased greatly and my docs (and Pegram) feel comfortable w/my newest regimen, keeping on top of things. I get a transvaginal pelv sono ev 6 mnths to be told my ovaries are beautiful. The nicest compliment any one ever gave me!

You're no wimp, Kathy. This is all very serious business, our life and our bodies. You are a Warrior Women, smart, proactive, involved in your own wellness. Keep talking to your body. Breathe deeply -- in and hold and out, releasing all that is unwanted, toxic and negative... Vividly see yourself crossing the finish line victoriously. Carry that image within you wherever you go. Open your heart to Universal love and draw that energy to you. It will fill you up to overflowing, I promise. Sending loving, healing energy to all my sweet Soul Sisters... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote