View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #10
R.B.

Dear Fullofbeans,

Your original post did not suggest that fasting was the only option on your mind. It suggested the general subject of sugars and cancer, and hence I suspect the direction of replies.

I know nothing about fasting at a biology level.

As you observe you will be using up reserves. Presumably the intention is to take the body back to some earlier state by ridding of of toxins etc and denying the cancerous cells nutrition if you have any at the present time .

I do not understand cancer cell energy metabolism or the Krebs? cycle well enough to comment.

In fasting common sense would suggest that you will liberate what ever is in your fat reserves which will include a reflection of your historic fat intake. If you had an omega three six imbalance you will be running the body on that imbalance. A high six ratio supports higher levels of inflammatory products. The body protects DHA in the brain and eyes but where DHA is used it will be replaced by omega six which is less beneficial.

An absolute fast will also loose you the benefit of positive elements of diet, and could aggravate a nutritional deficit if any.

A very restricted diet combined with monitoring would be another alternative, and prepare the body for a fast if that was a later decision.

If you do fast or dietary restrict I would give serious thought to maintaining some omega three intake to balancing your omega six as it is drawn down. I know nothing about fast but have read a lot about fats.

There are different levels of fast.

Here is a link on fast which I have just searched.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psycho...ology/fast.htm

A fast is a very serious step particularly for somebody coming out of treatment where there are a great many unkowns in terms of nutritional statues, impact on the body of treatments, aromatase inhibitors etc etc. Fasting will change your hormone levels etc.

You clearly must discuss this with your medical advisor, and should so far as possible monitor everything you can.

I wish you well what ever your decision.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote