View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
Heart Sutra

Hi Rhonda,

I am not a fan of guns, nor am I a fan of shoot 'em up movies. I've never hunted, don't even like the thought, and probably never will. However, my role as a father supersedes those biases.

Boys play with fantasy weaponry, so do girls. What I did with my son was to realize that guns are a reality in this world, and the best way to give him the ammunition (pun intended) to deal with this reality was to teach him to respect and handle guns by way of a very low power B.B. gun. I did the same with my daughter. I made this a very clear, very methodical, and often repeated lesson. As a result, they both lost interest in gun "play" and began to think of the weapons as they were designed to be used, saw no personal use for them, and abandoned that line of fascination.
Exposing them to those little B.B. guns took away the taboo, the mystery, (certainly the imagined machismo associated with them) and reduced the objects to what they are and nothing more, or less.
Kevin

Dx'd 10/06 IDC grade III/III
Er- pr- HER2 3+
MRM right breast 12/5/06
nodes negative
same day reconstruction started
(implants)
Stage II (2.2 cm tumor)
fairly extensive DCIS
Ct and Bone scans clean
Port placement 12/26/06
AC (4 cycles DD)to begin 1/2/07
Taxol/Taxotere (4 cycles DD)
Herceptin for one year

"There is no distinction between the one who gives, the one who receives, and the gift itself."- Hahn
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote