Thread: Muga
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
Barbara H.

Unhappy

Hi Chrisy,
Thank you for the encouragement. I am pleased for you that your score has increased. Unfortunately, it turns out that my Muga score was 45%. The oncologist running the trial even called Genentech because he felt that I was a perfect candidate for the trial. Actually, I had been off Herceptin for 5 weeks when I took the test. I feel like a diabetic that has to lose insulin. When I started on Herceptin alone (July 04) with mets to my brain, lungs, liver, skin, and through out my body in the lymph nodes I became NED in about two months. I stayed that way until Feb. 06 when it came back in the bones, the only place it didn't appear in May 04. Everything else has remained OK and it is felt that Herceptin continues to help even if the cancer appeared in the bones.

I already take 150 mg of CoQ10 in the morning. I plan on increasing the dose and need to start exercising again. I was put on Navelbine in Feb 04 which wiped me out. I responded with only stable bone mets. I went off of it in Dec. 06 because I had to have brain surgery again for radiation necrosis. Then I had a bone biopsy in Feb. 07 to see if my hormones had changed to positive. The biopsy did not work. I did a few rounds of Faslodex just to see with no result. So here I am with a great trial for me, but I can't participate, at least not at this time. I will see my oncologist on Thursday and probably start Tykerb with Xeloda.

Through all of this I have continued to teach third grade full time and have missed very little work. The only time I took off this past year was two weeks for my brain surgery. My big problem is that I haven't made time in my life to exercise since my cancer returned to my bones, and this Muga test result is certainly a wake up call. My plan is to start walking, kyaking this summer, and see a cardiologist.

I have to say that I have tried to stay as positve as I can about this latest bump in the road, but I have short moments of feeling quite sad.

I typed Muga into the search section and gained some helpful information about how I might improve my score. I appreciate this information and those of you who have responded to my post.

Best regards,
Barbara
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote