View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
diannel

I need advice on chemo treatment

Hi All:
I joined last night.
I am 59. Right breast lumpectomy: IDC removed 7/29/04. 1 cm. ER+ 60% and PR+30%. HER 2 neg by FISH. Node negative. Radiationx33. On Arimidex since Nov. 04.
NOW left breast lumpectomy: IDC removed 5/24/07 2 cm. Er+70% PR neg. Her2 positive: FISH signal ratio 6.49. Node negative. They say it is a new primary tumor.
I also have a 2.2 cm tumor on my R kidney. I was supposed to have surgery today, but developed bronchitis with a nasty cough, surgery is post-poned to early July; they say that is a new primary tumor too. I asked them to go back to a 2004 CT scan, and it was there then, supposed to be a slow-grower, only .3 to.4 mm a year.
Ater I get the kidney surgery, at which time they are just removing the tumor and 1 mm margins, my oncologist wants to start me on either:
1. AC 4@ 3 wk intervals. then TH 3@1 wk intervals. then H for 9 months for a total of 15 months treatment. OR
2. TCH 6@ 3 wk intervals. then H for 34 weeks, I don't know at what intervals, for a total of 12 months treatment.
My questions are: (Please give me your reasons in your answer)
1. Which chemo should I have?
2. Is it going to be hard for my kidney to heal if I start chemo 2-3 weeks after surgery?
3. Is there some gene assay test out there to determine if my HER2 is going to respond to this therapy?
4. Should I get the Oncotype DX assay? (I think it gives you a recurrence score, but only based on Er status, not Her2 status.)
5. Am I waiting too long to start chemo if I start it the third or fourth week of July? Should I start chemo before kidney surgery?
6. Has anyone had anything similar like this?
I would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Dianne L
diannel is offline   Reply With Quote