View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
AlaskaAngel

Reality.... pro and con...

I have been listening to Leroy's commentaries for quite a while, both on NPR in the mornings and on his blog, and I have gotten quite a bit out of it as he has such a marvelous straightforwrd way with words.

I don't identify at all with Lance's feelings much, but I do think it is possible that exercise, especially consistent exercise, keeps the toxins flushed out of the body so that circulating tumor cells don't get the chance to really attach and grow somewhere, and maybe that is why he stays so cancer-free.

I felt closer to the lovely woman with pancreatic cancer, maybe because she is not a celebrity but more like most of us, and I was very glad they included her in the program.

I was really looking forward to seeing the third hour where Elizabeth would speak... and that was when the power went out here. So... can anyone tell me what they got from the third hour?

It was unfortunate that the program showed only people who were not diagnosed early, and didn't show people who have chosen not to do chemotherapy at all. That implied that everyone with cancer does have chemo, as if there is no other sane choice. (Those interviewed were not people diagnosed in the early stages.) Hopefully they provided more balance in the last hour of the program? Did they ever interview anyone who was diagnosed in the early stage of cancer or who had never done chemo?

I also was left feeling that by not interviewing or showing people and families who are coping with the more difficult terminal stages of cancer, the program was sort of out of touch, even if it was more hopeful. I know this is being blunt but maybe they need to do a sequel called Dying With Cancer.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote