View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 03:49 AM   #18
Christine MH-UK

The other studies?

I can think of extremely promising published cases where herceptin was used only during chemo for either 12 weeks: "Docetaxel, cisplatin, and trastuzumab as primary systemic therapy for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive locally advanced breast cancer" by Hurley J, Doliny P, Reis I, Silva O, Gomez-Fernandez C, Velez P, Pauletti G, Powell JE, Pegram MD, Slamon DJ.

I can also think of a study where only 24 weeks of herceptin was used: "Neoadjuvant therapy with paclitaxel followed by 5-fluorouracil, epirubicin, and cyclophosphamide chemotherapy and concurrent trastuzumab in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive operable breast cancer: an update of the initial randomized study population and data of additional patients treated with the same regimen" by Buzdar AU, Valero V, Ibrahim NK, Francis D, Broglio KR, Theriault RL, Pusztai L, Green MC, Singletary SE, Hunt KK, Sahin AA, Esteva F, Symmans WF, Ewer MS, Buchholz TA, Hortobagyi GN.

However, for the life of me I can't think of anything but FinHer that used only nine weeks and in Barbara's very informative interview with Pegram he said that they were going to trial six months at first (roughly 24 weeks) and only then go down to shorter amounts.

You might want to read the thread "A Visit with Dr. Pegram" though, if you haven't done it, since he specifically recommends not going beyond a year of herceptin in the case of patients who are being treated for primary cancer and indicates that the trial that compared two years of herceptin to one year isn't showing improved results.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote