View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
skeetur

No treatment beyond surgery

Anyone else have no treatment recommended beyond surgery?

I had a good amount of DCIS with a tiny bit of IDC (2 foci largest of which was .3 cm which was ER+/PR+/HER2+). Had lumpectomy w/ SNB (negative) which found and removed the IDC but no clear margins on the DCIS. Re-excision lumpectomy again yielded no clear margins on the DCIS. And finally told that mastectomy would be best. I opted for bilateral mastectomies. Margins on mastectomies were fine so no rads.

Oncologist isn't recommending any chemo due to really tiny tumor size. He isn't recommending hormone therapy since the cancer was node negative and both breasts were removed. He isn't recommending Oncotype testing because there may not even be enough tissue to test due to tiny tumor size. He is contacting Hopkins to get an informal second opinion for me. If opinion is different, he wants me to go consult with Hopkins. He said I can always go get a second opinion there or elsewhere if I wanted whether their opinion agrees or not.

Anyone similar?

Kathy
01/23/2007 Re-excision Lumpectomy: No clear margins on the DCIS; mastectomy recommended
03/02/2007 Bilateral mastectomy w/ expander implant insertion
03/19/2007 Emergency surgery to fix broken blood vessel in left breast
03/30/2007 Met w/ oncologist; oncologist checking on HER2 status with pathologist and doing some consulting on my case - no treatments for now!
05/02/2007 Next appointment w/ oncologist
skeetur is offline   Reply With Quote