View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #189
bailey

Ladies - I am overwhelmed with what I'm reading about everyone's reaction to herceptin. I am Stage 4 mets BC - I started my chemo, second time around in 2003 for mets to the lung and liver. With the chemo I also was given herceptin. Once off the chemo at the end of 2003 they kept me on herceptin and my last one was last Wed. I would go for herceptin every 3 weeks. At no time did I have any side effects. I just turned 54 in Jan., I have always had nail growing problems so I just keep them short now, the dry eye syndrom can also be from menopause and there is a eye drop product called Soothe which I use about 4 times/day and helps keep my eyes moist, for any dry skin I always moisturize my body after a shower with body cream, not lotions as they are not as hydrating, I work out in the gym each morning - 5 days/week which includes spin classes 3 days/week. Yes I'm tired at times but I push myself to workout because I know I'll feel better when it's over and also I have the joint problem but that's from the Arimidex and that's why I continue to work out to keep my joints moving. I had gained weight after chemo but have since lost it - 18 lbs. by eating 3 meals a day and 2 little snacks - I eat healthy and stay away from alot of carbs like breads and pastas but eat alot of salads and fish and grains but of course with Italian my favourite food I eat it at least once per week. I enjoy a good glass of red wine each night and sometimes 2 on weekends. I guess in alot of ways I just didn't even want to know about the side effects because when I know about them I get them so I just say I will not have any. I wish I could have stayed on the Herceptin, it was easy for me but now will be starting tykerb/xeloda next week. Alot of the weight gain can be caused from the craving of carbs but I truly believe that the exercise has helped me so much. I do an hour/day and before I go to the gym I get up at 5:30am to walk my dogs then off to the gym. Like I said, I am tired but afterwards I feel great and have done something wonderful for my body. I also take 4000 milligrams of fish oil/day - spread out 4 times/day - a good high quality fish oil - helps with the immune system and keeps the skin moist. Along with that I take 1 400 mg. of Folic Acid but I divide it up into 4 pieces and take a 1/4 with each fish oil. I feel great!! I hope this helps someone.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote