View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Erin

I was one of those who already ate very well (though we can always so better!) and exercised, both weights and running/aerobics, regularly prior to my bc diagnosis (I taught aerobics for years). The only thing I would warn you about is not to stress your system too much. In my old pre-bc life (lol) I know that to gain muscle or stamina I had to push past the comfort zone...in other words, I had to stress my system to gain any improvement. I think you will find most athletes and other regular exercisers will tell you the same. I don't know if you plan to push hard on training while you are still doing chemo. Since you are under a lot of stress from the bc and treatment, I am not sure how much that added stress will affect you. You may want to take it very slow while you are still on chemo and ramp up your training after. It could take as short as 6 weeks of dedicated training for you to be in great shape for the walk.

Also, I am not on the same chemo regime as you, but I know right now I have to be careful how much I exert myself each day, as I hit a wall when my body has had enough...and I really never know from day to day when that will be.

Having said all that, I can completely understand how a goal like the 3-day can be critical to your mental and emotional health! So...go for it! Take it easy at first and listen to your body. And congratulations for even considering it. We have a 3-day team here at my job who is walking in my honor. I am planning on at least walking the last mile with them to the finish line :-)

Best of luck!
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote