View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
Hopeful

Lani,

This is another of those counter-intuitive things that makes you stop and think. I know I asked you once about laser surguery for bc, which I saw a few blurbs about that date back 3 or 4 years. I wonder if using that technology would avoid the "wound healing" signaling?

Marejo,

What I gather the article is saying is that women in their 40's who have mammos that reveal the presence of cancer are going to have surguery to remove it; however, removal of the tumor in these women may actually trigger growth factors that accelerate the relapse process as the tumor itself actually has qualities that inhibit cancer progression. From this point, they reason, it is perhaps better not to have surguery, but no one who has bc diagnosed by mammo is NOT going to have surgery, ergo, they conclude, having a mammo that results in surgery may result in a worse outcome than if the tumor had not been detected. They sugguest that women in their 40's having mammos should be advised of this risk. Circituous reasoning, to be sure. I sometimes marvel at the conclusions that are drawn from what seems to be pretty good research.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote