View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
lynnw

Hi Tricia,

Just wanted to share a few thoughts for you to consider in determining your next steps in treatment. While there may be nothing more to do surgically, there are other treatment options to consider to reduce the risk of recurrance. Like you, I had taxol/herceptin/carbo prior to my mastectomy and was left with some residual disease, 8+ nodes. Following surgery, I had four rounds of AC, every two weeks, followed by radiation. I was fortunate not to have any side effects from radiation. I am light-skinned but had only mild itching and no significant redness or burning. I was a bit tired, but I returned to work as a teacher and took care of my two young kids. Radiation was very manageable. Like other women on the board, I also had a year+ of herceptin only. I was 32 and premenopausal at diagnosis, so I also had my ovaries removed in order to take an AI. I don't mean to go on about all the treatments I had, but just wanted you to know there are still things you can do. I know you're disappointed to hear that it wasn't completely gone; I was too. Keep fighting, and don't resign to the advice of one doctor who says, "It's bound to come back." Be sure to get opinions from those who will work to make sure that it doesn't or who are at least trying everything!!

Take care,
Lynn
lynnw is offline   Reply With Quote