View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
justnina

Herceptin without Taxol?

Hi all,

First time to ask questions but I've been reading and learning, thanks to all of you!
Back story:
I was diagnosed last year with 1.3cm IDC, sentinal node biopsy neg.,Her3+,ER+PR+. My Oncotype DX score was 27. I had a partial mastectomy, (clear margins),dose-dense A/C, 4 rounds, 2 weeks apart, and dose-dense radiation, (I was given this choice) every
day for 15 days. I was then started on Herceptin, every three weeks, but was never offered Taxol. It appears that, from what I've read, it's typical to give the two together. I asked my onc about Taxol and she said since I was stage 1 she didn't think I needed it. Has anyone else been given the same advice?

As it turned out I was only able to finish 7 months of Herceptin due to ejection fraction problems-the first time it happened I took a six-week break from Herceptin and my e. fraction went back to normal. Restarted Herceptin and it nose-dived again. At that point my onc advised me to quit altogether because she said that "it has not been proven that a full year of Herceptin is actually necessary" and she also said that she "didn't want to cure my cancer and leave me with heart trouble." Anyone get similar advice?

PS: My hair is coming in curly--new for me but I've heard it's pretty common-how long does it stay curly?? Just wondering...

Thanks for staying with me through this looong e-mail...

All good wishes,

Nina
justnina is offline   Reply With Quote