Thread: Chemopause
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
jessica

Hi~
I've come out of chemopause each time after finishing chemo. After the 1st year of chemo, it was ~3 months after my last tx before my cycle returned.
But it totally took me by surprise...I remember standing in a friend's kitchen, eating ALL the leftover's from the Xmas party the night before, searching for more potato chips, complaining about the traffic & all the bad drivers & wondering out loud about why I was so "bloated & gassy"...? My friend said "Sounds like PMS to me!" and low & behold, she was right - that afternoon I got my period back!
I've always been very happy to see the my cycle return. I think of it as a healthy indication that everything "down there" survived the onslaught of toxic chemicals & is working again. This is particularly important to me b/c I hold out hope for having kids one day...
However, PMS is brutal! Prior to my BC dx, I'd been on the Pill & never suffered from severe PMS symptoms. Now each month I think, "UGH!This again?Every month?" However, my period seems to be on hiatus again...don't know why, but I haven't had a period since January...in the meantime, I have had 2 surgeries - mastectomy then reconstruction - but no other change in my Herceptin. I'm a little curious about it, but my onc isn't particularly worried.
It's pretty low on my list of priorities considering I have scans coming up in a couple of weeks.
Keep the Faith~
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote