View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
mts

Hmmm.... this is really difficult and as you know all we (I) can do is voice an opinion based on our own experience. Its just an opinion. Although I was thrilled to have completed my Herceptin, I am also Stage IIA, barely ER positive and PR- I also contemplated asking the onc for a lengthier Herceptin Tx, but his response was Why ? Some people develop an immunity to it and then if you have a recurrence, what will you be able to take? Then again, many women on this board have been taking it for MANY YEARS and are really doing well. My personal opinion is that you need to do whatever it takes to reach a place where you believe you need to be in order to not dwell on the "what ifs". Part of me thinks that if I had positive nodes, I would stay on it. Just remember there is no guarantee and the consideration of heart problems could hinder future tx should you progress while on Herceptin. The other part of me says to get off it and take a break. Heal your spirit and body and realize that you have been through a lot already and you deserve a break. Knowing how difficult it is to make this decision, then why not go half way and only do 6 more months...? This allows you to make a compromise as well as get the benefit of the drug. Don't forget the stuff stays in your system for quite a while once youre off it too.

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote