View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
Barbara H.

What I do!!

Hi,
I had a 3cm frontal lobe tumor to the brain in May 04 along with extensive lymph node mets, in addition to lesions in the liver, lungs, and skin. After my brain surgery and stereotactic radiation I started Hercepin alone in July 04. I only started with Herceptin because my daughter was getting married. Fortunately, Herceptin worked for me and I remained NED until a year ago when I develped mets in the bones. Navelbine was added. I responded, but I am still not NED. In addtion, I had to have brain surgery, a year ago in December, and again last December for a possible recurrence. It turned out to be radiation necrosis.

I still remain NED with the exception of the bones. Although I am ER PR neg., I just started Faslodex to see if I will respond. I had a bone biopsy but they were not able to figure out if the ER PR has changed. I will continue on the Faslodex as an experiment for the next few weeks. If it doesn't work, then I will have to go on another chemo, probably Tykerb. I am also currently on Zometa.

I try to eat organic as much as possible, and exercised until I developed the bone mets. I am quite involved with my teaching and last year even took two graduate courses while I was on Navelbine. It is not easy to do all of this, but it gives me satisfaction to think that I may be making a difference with my third graders. I have missed very little work, only 10 days so far this year with my surgery. I have my treatments after school, and am able to schedule most of my doctor appointments after school.

When I first started Navelbine, there were days when it was difficult for me to go to work. I am usually there by 7:00 in the morning, and often don't leave before 5:00. I also have work to do at night and on the weekends. I work for an excellent school system, and enjoy my job too much to give it up. It gives me an additional purpose in life. My principal and staff continue to be very supportive.

Everyone has to decide what they can and can't do with this disease, and need to be respected for their decisions. My goal at this point is to try to begin exercising again.

Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote