View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
AlaskaAngel

testosterone, libido, etc.

Desire drops off some for most women who have never had chemo/hormonal therapy, but continues into the later years to some degree more commonly than not.

Oprah had a program over 5 years ago about use of testosterone for libido, talking about application directly to the clitoris. The general discussion about testosterone can be confusing because some say it works, some say it doesn't,but the difference may be based on how it is applied or used, and the concentration of testosterone used.

I was a participant in the national clinical trial for the use of low-dose testosterone for breast cancer survivors. However, for the trial, testosterone cream was applied to the skin and specifically no where near the genital area. Trial duration was 1 month, so that too may be something of a variable.

A testosterone patch has been designed for women but has been on hold for ages and ages, pending approval.

There is also at least one other substance that is or was being investigated by clinic trial that hopefully might increase libido.

I don't consider this a minor issue for women. This is one reason why I hope especially those women who are early stage and who can benefit from tests like Oncolink Dx to avoid some of the toxicity of chemo, do so.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote