View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
chrisy

Well, um, I'm still here!

Hi Marie,

I don't feel like my story is particularly inspirational....but I certainly do know the feeling of despair getting a diagnosis of Stage IV cancer. It's devastating. The good news is, there are MANY inspiring survivors on this site, and I'm sure you will hear from them.

Don't ever forget, you and your husband are still the same people - you will find and use the strengths you already have to face this.

I too, had a surprise Stage IV diagnosis, in Sept 2004, with extensive mets in my liver. I sailed through six cycles of Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin, and have been in remission on maintenance Herceptin since then. Through this, I have continued to work full time, travelled all over, hiked in the Grand Canyon, partied in Vegas - basically "doing my life". I love my life, and it's definitely worth fighting for, so I will continue to do so. I expect to be around for quite some time yet.

There is always hope, and today there is even more hope!

Do not pay any attention to anything published more than a few years ago. Those statistics are old news. With new targeted therapies, such as Herceptin, more and more oncologists are beginning to think in terms of managing this disease as a chronic condition - for many years. Believe that this can happen for you. My hope is to keep going long enough for them to REALLY figure this out!

10 months after being diagnosed with Stage IV bc I did the Relay for Life. At first I didn't think I should qualify to wear the purple "survivor" shirt and walk in the survivor lap. Then I realized that you only have TODAY to survive. So I put on the shirt and declared myself a survivor!

Please do not lose heart. There is so much hope. Just take it day by day.

You'll find this is a really wonderful group here, lots of very knowledgable and caring people. You are very welcome here.

Much love,
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote