Thread: a/c t/h chemo
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 AM   #13
Barbara2

Similar Experience

I was also very ill with treatment of CEF x 6 (similar to AC minus the "F," Flourouracil). It wasn't dose dense, which maybe would have helped, some. With each treatment I became more severely ill, until treatment # 5...the next day I went into septic shock...the onc told my husband I had a 50-50 chance of survival for that day, or two.

After all that, I insisted on treatment #6. My husband was so fearful, but supported my choice to continue. We decided to use 1/2 of the normal chemo dose. I again ended up in the hospital, but no septic shock this time. My body was covered with blotchy purple everywhere. I asked the nurses what it might be. They had not seen it before.

Looking back, I'm sure it was all the chemicals that were in my body that caused me to turn purple. As awful as the whole experience was, I'm thankful for time that I may have not otherwise had, if I hadn't taken the chemo.

I never had any taxol, but did have 26 months post chemo, herceptin. By then my body had time to heal and life was much more normal again. The herceptin had side effects, but they didn't hold a candle to the chemo.

The govenment has cut back on $$ they will contribute to cancer research, research that could save lives, and instead we are putting that money elsewhere. So, we will continue to wait...but someday we will have more answers for cancer. Until then, we count our blessings for progress and options that we have for now.

Sue, you have been through the worst part...the light at the end of the tunnel is much brighter now. Hold tight...life will slowly get back to normal, at least physically. Get lots of rest and sleep...try to reduce your stress level. As you heal, and you are able to "think" again, you will come to remember how it felt to feel good. Your life will never be the same again because cancer changes how we look at life. Each day will be brighter, and the world will be even more beautiful than before.

Sending healing prayers to you and all who are battling cancer.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote