View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Karen t

Cool Xeloda, Herceptin & Diarrhea!

Several comments here! First of all, I am on Herceptin and 2500mg Xeloda (down from 3000 which was too hard for my system). Also:

1. Herceptin causes diarrhea for me right after the infusion. I was getting weekly infusions and switched to once every 3 wks so that I now get the infusion the day before starting the Xeloda and there is no longer an overlap with the Herceptin.
2. The first couple rounds of Xeloda, I would have days of constipation followed by the rampant diarrhea (especially before cutting the Xeloda dosage). I quit taking stool softeners, etc., because they seemed to propel me toward the diarrhea. Now I eat a couple prunes every morning during the would-be constipation phase and that really seems to help.
3. For both the constipation and diarrhea, I take - as needed - a probiotic. The one I find most helpful is Natren's Trinity, a capsule that is in the refrigerated case at Whole Foods. This seems to even out all the rough patches and has been a lifesaver whenever I have had to take an antibotic for UTIs.
4. Went to Costco with my husband today and shared one chocolate and almond coated ice cream on a stick (an infrequent treat). Big Mistake, especially since tomorrow is the last day of my 2 wk Xeloda. Barely made it home and had excrutiating stomach pains and diarrhea plus nausea. No more rich foods at this "time of month."

Hope this helps. K
Karen t is offline   Reply With Quote