View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #14
Melinda

Howard Hughes ahead of his time

FOod for thought
I was just reading about the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. A privately funded non for profit medical research facility and I quote"
"A revolution is taking place in biology, one that promises to transform our understanding of the living world and produce major advances in medical care. Among its leaders is the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI).

<!--[[p]] ** INSERT VIDEO HERE ** [[/p]]-->The Institute is a nonprofit medical research organization that employs hundreds of leading biomedical scientists working at the forefront of their fields. In addition, through its grants program and other activities, HHMI is helping to enhance science education at all levels and maintain the vigor of biomedical science worldwide. "

The HHMI web site is quite interesting. As privately held it has the ability to negate the "red tape" often associated with government funding for medical research
The cost of the research being done thru HHMI or should I say lack of cost certainly should eliminate much of the expense that the drug companies say are involved...... unless I am misunderstanding this whole premise???

60 minutes did a feature on this and the link is below
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in584945.shtml
Interesting reading and a smart/rich man for whatever purpose .... what he did and why is now benefiting medical science.
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote