Thread: Big Decisions
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
jessica

Skin Sparing Mastec + Reconstruction=Really not so bad...

Hey Melody~
Just sitting here doing one of the few things I'm allowed to do (typing on my laptop) since I just had the next stage of my reconstruction 4 daysys ago (the swap out the tissue expander, post skin sparing mastectomy 10 weeks ago).
I was 33 was I was dx'd & small breasted (34B)too. After a L lumpectomy in 5/02, then an excisional biopsy in the same quadrant of the same breast in 2/06, my L breast had become pretty asymmetrical. I finally had a Skin Sparing Mastectomy 10 weeks ago (12/06), not b/c of asymmetry, but because of lots of high grade dcis and yet another 1cm malignancy.
Last Friday, I had surgery to swap out the temporary expander for a permanent implant + augmentation of the R side for symmetry.

It is SO HARD to make such difficult, yet important decisions under such incredibly stressful circumstances. And Fear, especially Fear of the Unknown -and there are many unknowns on the journey with this disease-is truly the one of the most challenging things we encounter.
Just know, if you get educated about all your options, you will make the best decision for you. Take all the time you think you need to get comfortable to make a decision. It's your life, your body, YOUR DECISION.

I was dx'd in May 2002, with IDC, 3x3cm malignancy, NO DCIS WHATSOEVER, 12/12 positive nodes, BUT a single, 2x2cm liver met. I've had 81 weeks of chemo, not to mention the many weeks of Herceptin solo when I was NED. I could have chosen a mastectomy when I was 1st dx'd, but I didn't & I've never regretted that decision. But then my disease changed & my circumstances changed, so I had to make another choice.

Get educated (so many great folks here to help you), take your time & make peace with the decision.

Best of luck & Keep the Faith~
Jml

ps-if you decide on surgery, why will you only have two weeks?
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote