View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
KellyA

Tricia,

This is a hard decision. I really think that it depends on individual circumstances. I probably would have chosen to wait also, but had a unique situation and because of that, it was suggested that I do it at the time of surgery. I chose to have a double mast., and was very thin at the time (not now after chemo!!!!), so it was not an option for me to have the flap procedure, because there was not enough tissue to form two breasts. The doctors decided to put implants in immediately at the time of surgery, because they weren't sure if they could stretch the skin effectively later after radiation. There was a catch though- there is a very high failure rate with radiation and implants. I was quoted 50%. So I was kind of in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Either get the implants and risk them failing, or don't get them and risk not having anything later. Well, I got them and was very blessed not to have any problems with radiation- they held up great and I am going for my nipple reconstruction in two weeks.

Every situation is different, and it is alot to try to decide at once in a quick decision that might affect things later- especially when you are making other decisions as well with treatment etc. I never was a good decision maker. Very indecisive. :-)

Ask as many questions as you can- and most likely you have time, plenty of time to go in later for reconstruction and do what you really want. Time goes by very quicklly when you are in treatment (even though it probably doesn't seem like it right now) and it would be something for you to look forward to later when it is all over. Don't feel rushed if you don't have to. Good luck!

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote