View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Tricia!

My onc nixed the idea of getting immediate reconstruction too. I'm so glad now. My healthy breast has decreased in size by at least a size since my surgery 10 months ago. I have lost 22 pounds, but think it would have happened anyway. My onc knew I'd be getting radiation and did not want that to impact the implants or whatever. I'm 2 treatments from finishing radiation and I surely do see what they mean. My skin has changed. My plastic surgeon agreed with my onc once he knew how much treatment I was scheduled for. I talked to people in the treatment room and they all did things differently. But the ones who did the transflap and the implants with saline or silicone both told me their sizes were different on either side after a while. I wanted to get it over while I had the courage to do it. But very glad now that I'm waiting. I've changed my mind a zillion times on what to do. People on this board have done it all different ways and will be so honest about the results for you. Best of luck on another tough decision. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote