View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Sherryg683

Someone posted this link below from the doctors who are in charge of the Tykerb/Herceptin trials being done. They sound very promising and seem to indicate that this will be the way to treat HER2+ cancer in the future. Something that I had read in "Cure" magazines about 8 months ago. It talks about the synergy of the two used together..one attacking the inside of the cells, the other the outside. I think it is too early yet to determine how bad the side effects are. From what my Oncologist has told me, tykerb is easier on the heart than Herceptin from what they have so far shown. I'm sure it's all yet to be seen. I am sure the age of the patient and physical condition will be taken into consideration before they are put on this combination without tons of research to back it. Before Cancer (a year ago) I worked out 5 days a week and played tennis 4 days, I was in the best cardio shape of my life. I still can go out and do 5 miles on the treadmill with no problem. I'd rather take a chance on my heart than letting this beast back in. My husband asked my Oncologist about putting me on the both and he said quote.."in her case I think I would definately consider going that way". I guess he meant, he thought I could handle it..I'm sure I'll be watched closely with mugas, as would be with any new combo they would try. The link below is very interesting to listen to about Heceptin/Tykerb.sherryg683
http://www.breastcancerupdate.com/do...8_06_Chang.mp3

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote