View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
mts

A Different Perspective...

Hi-

I would like to mention that the NCI is not the only organization receiving funds- There are dozens of not-for-profit cancer organizations doing their part too. Many private donations are not counted in the overall cancer bank.

Keep in mind the army (through the Dept of Defense -DOD) allocates over $120 million dollars annually to combat specific cancers (Breast, ovarian, colon). These funds are for research for succesful applicants in our nation's cancer centers and teaching hospitals. All money does not go to the microscope end of things, rather to pay the graduate student that spends an entire year focused on a specific project, or the department that needs equipment to enhance its technology in order to better study new cancer treatments...etc...

Only 15 applicants out of 65 regarding new breast cancer research were funded out of the DOD. Not because of lack of funding, but because these were the only ones that showed innovation. So, instead of some universities getting funds that were going nowhere, the places that showed technologic improvement got the bucks. Money well spent.

Money is tight- but I would rather have the Fed control the dollars by scrutinizing the fund requestor than just open the flood gates and waste the funds on useless causes or projects that have been studied to death yet present themselves again under new titles. This happens ALL THE TIME.

I know some things can be done better- and improvements have been made- but just throwing money at a problem really does not make the problem go away. Imagine where we would be if only ONE got the money- the competition would be fierce and we would be closer to a cure.

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote