View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
Becky

While on chemo, my red cell count dropped but never enough for a Procrit shot. I was glad because there is a warning on the Procrit label that states that cancer survival is less if you use Procrit. I did alot of research into it then and it seemed that Procrit (or drugs like it) cause an increase in mortality. Sometimes I would think that it was because those patients using it were in the worst shape (medically) and therefore at a higher increase in the rate of death. Secondly, I had read another article that said that even if you are on the edge of needing red blood cell boosting, take it. This article's thought was that cancer survives and reproduces better in a low oxygen state. Therefore, if the red blood cells are at normal or boosted levels, there will be more oxygen in the body. Makes sense in that regard but overwhelmingly, the Procrit label is scary.

This comes on the heels of your last post on Neulasta/Nepogen which I have always agreed with. I did not take Neulasta but took Leukine instead. My rationale was that Leukine boosts all white blood cell components (including the dendrites which are the scouts of the immune response system - thereby a potential self vaccinating system). Whereas the Neulasta just boosts neutrophils (which is all the oncs really care about) and is a one shot deal so they don't have to see you for 2 weeks (Leukine you need a shot every 24 hours for 10 days - no "lasta" effect).

Thanks for posting this one Tom as it rounds out the red and white blood cell count issues and gives us all something more to think about and ponder.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote