View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
MGordon

Not for everyone...

Lisa had such a gregarious personality - she TALKED. She got to know all of her Onc Nurses and fellow patients, always respectfully of those wanting privacy, but through her outgoing nature she bonded with these people and allowed them to touch her life. It was amazing how much people in the entire treatment room opened up - and I found out that her reputation grew - as patients started rescheduling their chemo days to have thier chemo while Lisa was there! Of course she was they EVERY week and Thursdays became THE day to have treatment. Many a Thursday I was sent scampering to local stores to buy licorce or some other snack that someone wanted and the facility was out of - just to come back and run out for something else. Not complaining - I LOVED IT!

She talked with teenagers concerned about hair loss and how to deal with mouth sores (they all used to bury their noses in their DVD players) - people her age about friends/family & grandchildren - I think she knew the names and birthdates of every member of every Onc nurses family - and loved to sit down and hold hands and talked with her elders to help alleviate fear and anxiety.

I know it is not for everyone, but don't be afraid to open up, touch, and be touched!

So what to take to the chemo room - YOU - and your "I am going beat this" attitude!

Love and Light
Mel