Thread: My Last Day
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #17
kari

Hi Kriss,
Hope you are making it through the week after your first chemo! Yes, it will be tough, there is no sugar-coating that. When I started going through my treatments, someone told me it would be the longest year of my like. I've celebrated my 1-year survival this month, and have to agree that the past year took a lot out of me. But I tried to keep up a positive attitude, had an awesome support group (family, church, friends, on-line groups, medical team, etc.), and let others look after my needs (that was one of the most difficult things for me). All of that helped me get through, and I never felt so loved.
Take the advice of your chemo nurses as to how to deal with any potential side-effects---my nurses were always available to answer all my questions and never made me feel like I was "bothering" them. Hopefully you won't experience too many of the side-effects and that those you do will be minimal (maybe you will be a fortunate one to breeze through treatments). Once I convinced my brain that my body needed the meds to manage my side-effects, things were easier.
Your life may be on hold for the duration of your treaments, but it WILL get back to normal, albeit a new normal. There is hope. Just take it one day at a time.
My prayers go out to you. Take care and keep us posted as to your progress.
Hugs,
Karen
1-year survivor

"The Good Lord gave us mountains, so we could learn how to climb!"
kari is offline   Reply With Quote