View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 03:26 AM   #16
R.B.

Why did I bring up the coronary issue

Because a previous post suggested omega three had no impact on coronary health. A positive impact on coronary health is one of the area that does seem to be accepted by a growing number of the medical profession.

Re impact of omega three - it is complex. The eicosanoid pathway is fundamental to the bodies mechanisms, and omega three and six play a very big part in it. Omega three and six have been reported as impacting on a huge number of health issues.

Re repeating - I take oil and not capsules. I used ot have a problem with repeating with cod liver oils oils but do not have a problem with the seven seas extra strength or Vita Cost Carlsons lemon flavoured. I do not know if these oils are more refined. Omega three has been shown to reduce IBS which is a factor in poor digestion.

Food does alter gene expression, this includes BRAC and HER 2. the difference between a high omega six and balanced 3/6 has been shown to produce changes of gene expression by a factor of ten for some gene in rodents. There are a number of small trials suggesting that omega three intake does play a part in cancer risk reduction, but there is a lack of wider trials

This is a good starting point on the huge subject of fats.

http://www.benbest.com/health/essfat.html

Other supplements is a whole huge other issue on which I make no comment.

To balance the omega threes and sixes you have to look at your intake and fat content. This is a good link. It is a bore at first but it does not take long to get an idea as to what contains high levels of omega six.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/topics/fatty-acids

Otherwise it is more of the usual - avoid processed foods, sugar, trans fats,....lots of variety - lots of green things - small quantity of nuts - as generally discussed in many healthy eating books.

It is not easy, there is much mixed information and my suggestion is to read round the topic and come to your own conclusions.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote