View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
Christine
Founder - HER2 Support Group

Sherry and all Members....
I can understand your delema. I recently came off Herceptin for rhe last 4 months. I have been NED for almost 6 yearstaking Herceptin has never been a problem for me, except, I began to think maybe I need a break, especially after having fair to normal ECHO's at 50% sometimes then later 66% after not taking Herceptin for 4 months.
My onc really listens to my own ideas on how to persue my treatments. Iam scheduled for my usual 6 months MRI Scans that will help me and my Onc determine my protocol. To begin Herceptin or not is the question.. Tykerb seems to be a great alternative, but on the other hand do I need it? Herceptin has always worked well for me; and I would like to be off to give my heart a break also. A recent echo-stress test showed a slight dysfunction was indicated less volume pumped. Otherwise, my heart had a normal function and size. MY heart Ejection Fraction was normal at 66. Cardiologist was impressed.
At San Antonio this year, it was noted that the dysfunction in the LV takrs longer to rebound than they had previously thought for some.
Hope this helps all who have similar heart issues to go on or take a break.Tykerb seems to be another option for those who are progressing on Herceptin;and those who have brain metastases.

Hugs
Christine
HER2 3+++, er- pr-
AC, Taxol, Herceptin, Gamma Knife (3 treatments) WBR
NED July 2001
December 2001 - Founded HER2 Support Group
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote