View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
PatS

Thanks Steph, it's nice to know what to expect from someone who's experienced it. I took my first pills this morning and so far no side effects , but we'll see what happens.

Joannie -

Here's a link to info on the trial

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/sho...374322?order=1

In order to qualify for the trial you have to have been diag. stages I-III, currently be NED, and never received herceptin. You also have to have blood tests, a general physical by your onc., and a MUGA scan before starting.

The trial is a random, double blind trial, which means you randomly get chosen to either receive Tykerb (Lapatinib) or a placebo, and no one, not even your onc. knows which you're getting. The only way you find out, unless you have some sort of side effect, is if you have a medical emergency where they need to know whether or not you're taking it. You go see the onc every three months and also have to have a MUGA every 3 months.

The doseage is 6 pills, once a day, at least 1 hour before or after eating.

If you click on the link above and scroll down it lists participating oncs. by state.

I am in a similar situation as you....I was diag. in July 2002 and finished chemo in Jan. 2003 and at the time didn't get herceptin as I didn't qualify for any trial and once it was approved my onc was reluctant to give it to me as it had been so long since I finished chemo.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote