Thread: Port Questions
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
LAURIE

I have a port installed above my breast and before hand thought I can't stand the thought of having this thing inside of me. I was even concerned about the little scar. I rememeber asking my surgeon about the scar and I could see the look on his face like "you just wait till your surgery" That was in last August. So if your feeling this way it's normal to me. I guess I am okay with it now. It only midly hurt for a few days afterwards and it is really easier for surgery, nurses and easier for us too. Trust me I am really a wimp when it comes to pain and it is not that bad. I told my surgeon that if I can take something for pain I always will. I took a couple vicodin for a couple days later. After my chemo treatments I complained of my collar bone (and lower, in the port area) hurting (I even thought it was swollen) and they did an x-ray. It was fine. I am just real sensitive to any pain and just geting stick in my port was enough for me to complain about. Even now I am so aware of every ache and pain in my body. I think I am getting better about what is normal and not as much of a complainer anymore (I am sure my husband would agree with that). What I am trying to say is that if you read all these posts and you still don't like the idea of having a port it's okay. Why would anyone want it, if they don't have to. But the fact is we have to, and we do it because it is the best thing for us to do. So if you have any pain after your port placement and think your a wimp because you do, who cares. Let yourself feel that way.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote